The Gas Metal Arc Welding Skill Badge indicates that an individual has mastered the set of skills listed below. AWS WeldLink badges denote an individual’s qualifications and level of education, knowledge, or skills in specific subject areas:
Entry Level Skill Set
- Perform safety inspection of GMAW equipment and accessories
- Set up equipment for GMAW operations
- Produce sound single and multi pass GMAW-S groove welds in 1F, 2F, 3F, and 4F positions on carbon steel
- Produce sound single and multi pass GMAW-S groove welds in 1G, 2G, 3G, and 4G positions on carbon steel
- Produce sound single and multi pass GMAW (Spray) groove welds in 1F and 2Fpositions on carbon steel
- Produce sound single and multi pass GMAW (Spray) groove welds in 1G position on carbon steel
Advance Level Skill Set
- Set up for gas metal arc welding operations on carbon steel.
- Operate gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Execute corrective actions to repair surface flaws on welds and base metals.
- Make fillet welds, all positions, on aluminum plate.
- Make groove welds, all positions, on aluminum plate
- Perform an all position workmanship qualification test on aluminum plate.
- Make fillet welds in the 2F position, on carbon steel pipe, using spray transfer.
Short circuit transfer
- Make fillet welds, all positions, on carbon steel pipe, using short circuiting transfer.
- Make 2G and 5G groove welds, on carbon steel pipe, using short circuiting transfer.
Short circuit transfer & Spray transfer
- Perform a combination workmanship qualification test on carbon steel pipe & plate.
How to Earn or Verify this Badge
To earn the Shielded Metal Arc Welding Skill Badge, or update your badge status from unverified to verified, complete the requirements for any one of the following options:
Why is my badge unverified?
Users may add skill badges to their profile at any time. User added skill badges remain unverified until one of the conditions listed below are used to verify the user’s skill.
This badge is automatically added to your profile, or updated from unverified to verified, when you obtain one of the following certifications and you link your AWS account to your WeldLink profile.
- Earn a welder certification in the Shielded Metal Arc Welding process through the AWS Certified Welder Program. This program employs performance-based testing to verify a welder’s ability to deposit sound welds. Welders are tested to an industry procedure or to a company supplied or non-code welding specification. Welders that successfully complete a certified welder exam at an AWS Accredited Testing Facility will earn an AWS Welder Certification Card and be listed in the AWS National Registry of Welders.
- Successfully complete the appropriate learning modules at an AWS SENSE training organization. The AWS SENSE Program is a comprehensive set of minimum Standards and Guidelines for Welding Education programs. Students graduating from training organizations that have implemented the AWS SENSE Program can obtain an AWS Entry level, or Advanced level welder certification.
- Sense Level I - Module 5
- Sense Level II - Unit 2